When you own a house, you need to have homeowners insurance to cover damage to the home and injuries if someone gets hurt while they are there. The coverage that is required is different in every situation, so be sure to talk to your insurance agent about your coverage and if there is something more that you should have. Working with an Insurance Agent If you do not have an insurance agent that you work with regularly, you might want to take the time to find one that works with your insurance company.